If you are in Malaysia and haven’t tested Nasi lemak . Its like you have been to Kualalumpur but haven’t seen Patronas twin tower … Well, I was bit surprised the first time I came here and saw people having rice early in the morning at breakfast. Soon someone explained to me that this dish is called Nasi Lemak and it’s national heritage of Malaysia.
One day I was watching a program on TV about what Malaysian prefer to cook everyday, and a lady explained why she like to cook Nasi Lemak regularly, she mentioned aroma and texture of cooked rice etc etc, and that made me curious again for this food.Well I decided to cook this time at home. I spoke to one of the local woman at grocery store. She told that right way to make Nasi lemak is to cook rice with Pandan leaves and ginger in it. I also did some research online and found similar recipes. I cooked it and my whole family liked it very very much, and I had to cooked it again the very next day, because no one at my home were ready to have plain rice with dal which I cook almost everyday. Yes that lady on TV was 101% right.
Malaysian eat Nasi lemak with Sambal Ikan balis, a curry made of dried anchovies and spicy paste. So I tried my vegetarian version of Sambal Ikan balis, which I will share in my next blog. So here is my recipe of one of the most delicious and simplest dish of rise …Nasi lemak Truly Malaysian Dish…
Nasi Lemak | Coconut rice
- 1 cup rice I use Basmati
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk
- 2-3 pieces of ginger or add 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 long Pandan leaves screwpine leaf Tie them into a Knot
- Wash rice.
- Mix coconut milk,ginger ,salt, water and Pandan leaves.
- If you are using a steam cooker then whistle it two times and let the cooker cool down.
- If you are using Instant pot then select the rice setting and cook it accordingly.
- If you are boiling it in the pot then double the water and boil it for 20 mins. Cover the lid and keep checking if water is not coming out of the pot.
- Enjoy Nasi lemak with sambhar or curry.
- Basmati rice is not a must, you can use any rice of your choice.
- Soak rice in water for 15 mins
- It goes well with chicken curry, but I normally eat with any curry.